Plenty of mochi recipes in the Internet, but unfortunately being in the US, the measurements are all in cup measurement. Attempts to search for recipes in grams yields surprisingly no results so I had to create my own based on recipes available.
For simplicity, I based this recipe on a microwave mochi recipe, probably the #1 result of a search query. The original recipe had a larger % of water, but it was easier for me to remember 1:1 and the update worked fine. Changes I made: (1) convert to grams and (2) reduce the amount of ingredients as mochi is perishable and I wanted enough for the family to snack on for the next day or two, not for large potluck or for sale.
- 150 g mochiko
- 150 g water
- 75 g sugar
- couple of drops of rice wine vinegar
- Potato starch for dusting
- Generously dust the bottom of a 9×9 pan with potato starch.
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine mochiko, water, sugar, and vinegar and mix until thoroughly combined (I used a rubbermade spatula).
- Microwave on High for 2 minutes. Knead/fold with spatula.
- Microwave on High for 1 minute, parts should be translucent. Knead/fold with spatula.
- Microwave on High for 1 minute, all translucent. Knead/fold with spatula.
- Pour the dough on the potato starch covered pan. Generously dust the top of the mochi dough with potato starch.
- While still warm, but not blazing hot that it’ll burn your hands, flatten the mochi.
- Allow to cool, and cut into bit size pieces. Dust edges of each piece in potato start to prevent sticking.