We love English muffins, visit this but we dislike waking up early in the morning to make muffins from scratch. Cook’s Illustrated’s Baking Illustrated booklet has a recipe for English muffin bread that looked easily adaptable to overnight rise and a quick morning bake in the toaster oven.
- 200 g starter, 100% hydration
- 300 g bread flour
- 260 g milk
- 8 g salt
- 8 g sugar
- 4 g baking soda
- Cornmeal for the bottom of the loaf pan
- Mix all the above except cornmeal
- Stretch and fold x 4
- Rest 30 minutes, stretch and fold x 4
- Pour into a loaf pan that has cornmeal dusted on the bottom.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator.
- Next morning, preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Score the dough.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes to 200 degrees F internal temperature.
- Remove from pan and cool to room temperature.
If you don’t score, the rise is uncontrolled.