Not bread related as I’m deviating. Need a place to log my experiments in making Khao Man Gai with an Instant Pot and this blog is allows me to share and reflect on the process.
2 cups of jasmin rice
2 whole leg and thigh
2 cups chicken broth
1′ ginger, peeled and chopped
5 gloves garlic, chopped
2 tbs salted fermented soy beans
2 tbs white vinegar
2 tbs dark soy sauce
1 jalapeño pepper
- Set Instant Pot to sauté
- Cook chicken skin side down 5 min, flip and cook 5 more min. Traditional recipe use poached chicken but given this first attempt thought that braising would be safest. Remove and set aside.
- Sauté 1/2 the ginger and garlic until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add all rice and sauté for 2 min.
- Add to chicken stock and top with chicken. Set Instant Pot to Manual for 4 min.
- While Instant Pot is working hard, make the sauce by combining the rest of the ginger and garlic with salted soy beans, dark soy sauce, white vinegar, and jalapeño (to taste).
- After pressure cooking is complete, rest for 10 minutes then release. The chicken registered 190 degrees F so perhaps the braise is not necessary.
Overall, this is a decent version. Rice was individually grained and fragrant from the ginger and garlic. Pandan leaf would be nice addition though. The chicken is fine, but not tender. Very much like a braised chicken.